Home, Hearth, and Family | Tomato Fennel Soup
- 2 large fennel bulbs, stems and cores removed, sliced into pieces roughly 1/2 pieces (about 4 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 48 oz chicken or vegetable stock (low salt)
- 1 28 oz plum tomatoes, chopped and with their juices
- 1/4 Tspn Crushed Red Pepper
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- Basil cleaned and chopped for serving
- Parmigiana Reggiano for grating upon serving
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in 4qt soup pan until simmering
- Add in crushed red pepper and stir for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add in garlic and sauté for another 1 to 2 minutes, careful not to burn.
- Add fennel and sauté for another 5 to 7 minutes just until they start to turn golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and their juices and simmer until juices are at a gentle boil.
- Add in chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Serve grated parmigiana reggiano